Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sometimes its good to be childish

Psalm 148:12 & 13 ~ Both young men, and maidens; old men and children: (13) Let them praise the name of the Lord: for His name alone is excellent; His glory is above the earth and heaven.


Open worship has always been a difficult thing for me. Lifting my arms and worshiping the Lord with others around I feel self conscious. I have this fear of someone looking at me and thinking " What is she doing, or Look at her," or all sorts of silly things. I didn't want anyone to think I was bringing attention to myself and I didn't want to draw attention to myself even though I've had the urge to left my arms in worship on occasion! Now that being said I have a few friends who openly worship with all they have. So I thought to myself do I think they look silly? Well yes but not because of their worship!! Just Kidding!! No, when I even noticed them (because I was focused on Jesus or should have been) I thought they looked beautiful and free. I admire their boldness in fully worshiping our Lord the way the Spirit called them too. I told myself I would left my arms in praise the next time the spirit urged me too. Well I chickened out! My hands were halfway there when I again got an attack of the "Oh is anyone watching?" and grabbed some wood. (That would be the pew in front of me.) I later realized that I didn't lift my arms because I wanted my worship to be all about my Lord and not about me. That makes sense except by me NOT worshiping the way the spirit urged me to I then made my worship all about me and NOT my Lord. It was an AHA moment! Then as if that epiphany wasn't enough I open my daily devotional and read a commentary about Wholehearted Worship! I mean come on God is good and He likes to make sure He gets his point to you! It was about a young girl worshiping with abandon, not worrying about what others might think. The author jokingly referred to her own worship as sedate, refined, upscale and mature. The mature part binged for me. My earlier post was about I might be growing older but I'm newer in Christ each day. Well Christ urged us to have a childlike faith in him. I'm also seeing that we should have a childlike abandon in our worship to him as well. See its okay to be a little childish! Sometimes we get a little to "refined" in our worship and forget to worship fully. That being said I promise to be bold, make my worship about God, not me and raise my arms in praise when the spirit tells me! What about you?

PSALM 95:1-4 O come, let us sing unto the Lord: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation.(2) Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms. (3) For the Lord is a great God, and a great King above all gods.

2 comments:

  1. I was moved by that devotion in Journey too. In fact, I shared it with Brian. I love the way you write, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beauty of writing is I then get to use my inner filter BEFORE its out there!

    ReplyDelete