Thursday, January 13, 2011

LEGO'S like words?



EPHESIANS 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.



Todays daily devotional was about the tongue. Yes the almighty tongue. For such a small body part it is amazingly strong. I read somewhere that is was the strongest muscle in your body.(this may or may not be true) I do know it can be the greatest detriment to the body of Christ or our most powerful tool to further His kingdom. JAMES3:10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. We can use our tongues to praise Gods holy name and blasphemy it as well. Often times from the same tongue. We can do good and evil with that small little muscle. It has the power to save, kill, build you up to your highest and knock you down to your lowest. Animals show their love with licking. Humans show their hatred with the vileness that spews from it. We can hurt someone with the smallest comment or make their day. That is one powerful muscle.


A few months ago a good friend made a comment about what I was wearing that day. I thought I looked nice but her innocent remark made me question my choice of outfits. She meant nothing by it ( I hope!), but was simply saying she tried something simlar and didn't look good in it. I then had to seek affirmation from others. Hers was a simple remark that did damage, caused doubt.


Jenna was singing at church one Sunday when she started getting a little extra joyful in her song. I told her to bring in down just a notch. Well I broke her heart, crushed her spirit at that time. My comment no matter how well intended did damage.


Most think our tongues don't come with warning labels. Ah you would be wrong! We sometimes forget we have an entire owners manual. The Bible. It directs us in how to operate EVERY part of our body and our lives. Oh but so many people just toss out the manual and wing it. They think they're smarter than the Author and Creator only to figure out later they do need the directions. I am often one of those people. (Not the smarter part just the winging it part!)

JAMES3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

I am not perfect and in many things I offend others. Its a daily battle to wield my tongue with careful precision and not reckless destruction. Words are like legos it only takes one to finish a masterpiece, but remove the wrong one and you will destroy an entire creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment