Monday, January 17, 2011

A lack of honor

First off I must say I have a love hate relationship with my Journey daily devotional. Most days I love it but then God goes and uses it to bring the smack down on me and I just have to say "Really?".

Today was about honoring our parents. Sounds normal. As a parent I try to instill in my children that they honor me and their father but do I honor mine. They answer to that is no. I love the both immensely. But honor them both not so much. I think its because I tie honor into respect. I feel they go hand and hand but they don't. Today's story truly hit home for me. The author had bad parents who were not believers. She pulled her life away from theirs and avoided them. Let me just say that sounds VERY familiar to me.

God said EXODUS 20:12 Honor thy father and thy mother;that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee. Often times we feel that only applies to "good" parents. Well we're wrong. God wants us to honor our parents period. There is no scripture that says "Honor your father and mother BUT only if they are good, holy, christian parents." It just says "Honor thy father and thy mother.

What is honor. Honor is (verb) * to hold in high respect or revere * to confer honor or distinction upon * to show a courteous regard to * to accept as valid and conform to the request or demands of.

By not honoring our parents period we are not honoring God. He commanded us to honor our parents. So what does this mean to us who have had less the "Godly" parents? I don't know. Yes I'm sure your now thinking, "What? You don't know? Whats the point if you don't know?". Well I don't know that either! I'm still working this one out! If you know me personally than you know my story. If not call and I'll tell you. But at this point in my life I don't honor one of my parents. I don't respect them. They have given me nothing to respect. Yet I'm muddling through Gods command for me to honor them. Where is the line for this. At what point do we get to say I'm done or do we? Is God the Father ever done with us? What if he just says "I'm done".

Hmmm Questions, questions, questions. Lets toss this one around and pray on it some more. Did it give you something to think about. It did me. I'll have my nose in my bible a whole lot for this one and I might have to bust out some knee pads!

1 comment:

  1. Advertisment on Facebook today. Honor your mom. Wonderbread. God knows how to get you!

    ReplyDelete